The Hancock County Historical Society (HCHS) is a local not-for-profit organization with the mission to collect, preserve and interpret the cultural history of Hancock County, Indiana.
If you are not already a member; we would love to have you join us! We also appreciate financial donations; all donors will receive a receipt for tax purposes. HCHS Memberships and / or donations are vital for the success of HCHS to preserve Hancock County history and maintain the historical buildings that have been entrusted to us.
The Hancock County Historical Society owns and operates the Old Log Jail Museum and the Chapel in the Park Museum, located at the corner of Apple Street and East Main Street in Greenfield, IN. Besides maintaining these historical buildings, the Society is also responsible for a large collection of artifacts that are housed in both locations.
Just Some of Our Artifacts Include:
* Mastodon teeth from the skeleton originally found in Hancock County that is now housed at the Indianapolis Children’s Museum.
* Native American items – projectile points, grinding stones, etc.
* Pioneer artifacts – farm implements, clothing, mill grinding stones
* The original National Symbol of the Democratic party – a Rooster (now stuffed)
* Civil War Memorabilia – letters, weapons, pictures, etc.
* James Whitcomb Riley items – books, Millie Davis Dolls, etc.
* High School annuals, old newspaper books, early Hancock County family photos, and much more.
The Benefits of HCHS Membership:
* Receive the HCHS Newsletter – The Log Chain (Interesting history & genealogy)
* Free admission to both the Old Log Jail and the Chapel in the Park Museums
* 10% discount on all purchases of the HCHS merchandise, including several hard-to- find edition books detailing Hancock County History (great resource for genealogy).
* Volunteer opportunities (review some these on the membership form)
* Invitation to members only events.
All members receive an official HCHS Membership card. Please present for free tour admission and to receive the discount for HCHS merchandise. All HCHS Annual Memberships (except Lifetime Membership) expire one year from the date that you join.
Thank you for your consideration, we hope you join us and we welcome all donations!